The Tour of The Great South Coast kicked off today in Mount Gambier SA. The opening stage, a criterium around the CBD saw Rob McCarthy of Euride racing take the win over Jack Beckinsale who pulled on the yellow jersey courtesy of taking a number of time bonuses in the intermediate sprints.
The elation of stage one was short lived though when the seemingly inocuous 68km stage two quickly spiralled out of control and turned GC on it’s head. A break of 12 clawed it’s way clear of the bunch in the tough damp and windy conditions halfway through the stage. The defining move came when Sam Horgan (Budget) and Alex Morgan (VIS) went clear and build a strong lead. Morgan prevailled for stage honors but Kiwi Horgan pulled on the yellow and it will be hard to get him to give it up. One things for sure with ourselves and Drapac on the back foot the racing is going to get very aggressive.
- Samuel Horgan (Budget Forklifts) 2hr 23min 24sec
- Alexander Morgan (Jayco/Apollo VIS) 0:00:19
- Alex Edmondson (Euride Racing) 0:01:10
- Patrick Shaw (Huon Salmon-Genesys Wealth Advisers) 0:01:14
- Darren Lapthorne (Drapac Cycling) 0:01:26
- Jacob Kauffman (Budget Forklifts) 0:01:32
- Brenton Jones (Huon Salmon-Genesys Wealth Advisers) 0:01:41
- Jack Haig (Huon Salmon-Genesys Wealth Advisers) 0:01:44
- Robert McCarthy (Euride) 0:01:45
- Luke Fetch (Seight Test Team) 0:01:46